The coin-sized batteries children swallow come from many devices, most often mini remote controls. Other places you may find them are: singing greeting cards, watches and bathroom.
It takes as little as two hours to cause severe burns once a coin-sized button battery has been swallowed.
Once burning begins, damage can continue even after the battery is removed.
Kids can still breathe with the button battery in their throats. It may not be obvious at first that something is wrong.
Repairing the damage is painful and can require multiple surgeries.
The batteries can become lodged in the throat, burning the esophagus.
Top Tips for Battery Safety
- Search your home, and any place your child goes, for gadgets that may contain button batteries.
- Secure button battery-controlled devices out of sight and reach of children and keep loose batteries locked away.
- Share this life-saving information with caregivers, friends, family members and sitters.
In Case of Emergency
- Go to the emergency room immediately. Tell doctors and nurses that your child may have swallowed a battery. If possible, provide the medical team with the identification number found on the battery’s package.
- Do not let the child eat or drink until a chest x-ray can determine if a battery is present.
- Do not induce vomiting.
- Call the National Toxicology Institute Hotline at 800777099 for additional treatment information.
Your Baby checkup
what are the vaccinations that he should have taken until now?
Generate a report for my baby.
Track Your Baby Vaccinations
Find Your Baby name
Al Sheikh Zayed